Tucker House Renewal Centre has immediate openings for occasional, bilingual outdoor educators at our retreat centre in Rockland. Tucker House Renewal Centre is a charitable retreat and environmental learning centre with a mission to promote sustainable living. It carries out this mission by providing interactive ecological programs in both official languages for children, youth and adults in Prescott-Russell and Ottawa and by operating and maintaining an eco-friendly retreat facility in a natural and historic setting. This facility is located on a 30 acre property in Rockland, Ontario, a predominantly French-speaking community 30 minutes east of Ottawa. The organization also has a head office in Ottawa. Programs include an on-site seed-saving garden, summer nature camp, eco-education training for teachers, new interactive history mystery program, and regular rentals at our retreat centre. We also have a capital renovation program and renewable energy on-site.
Tucker House seeks certified or emerging educators with demonstrative experience. This is an occasional position for by-appointment teaching sessions. The educator will be responsible for leading Outdoor Education sessions to primary, junior and intermediate youth groups of 20-30 students at a time. The educator will focus on delivering sessions on agriculture, forest ecosystems and healthy and sustainable food. All program materials and resources will be provided. Successful applicants must be available to attend onsite training as needed.
- Bachelor of Education degree or emerging educators with demonstrated experience
- Police records check is required to work with vulnerable groups (rushed at applicant’s expense)
- CPR C /Standard First Aid is an asset
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Fluently bilingual in French and English
- Access to personal transportation as there is no public transit to Rockland
- Proven experience utilizing classroom/behavioral management practices
- Excellent working knowledge of environmental, ecological and outdoor education principles
- Demonstrable experience and/or education in leading programs for children in P/J/I age levels
- Ability to manage time effectively
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills
- Confident in leading groups of 20-30 students
- Ability to use a variety of teaching strategies to accommodate various learning needs
- Committed to furthering environmental education in youth
To apply, send cover letter and resume as one PDF to Diana Brushey email@example.com with Occasional Outdoor Educator in the subject line. Resume should be in English. Include a one page description in French of experience and interest on topics of permaculture, forest ecosystems, and sustainable food.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Candidates selected for an interview will be asked to provide three references that can attest to your work with children.